GLANUM ARCHEOLOGICAL SITE
The archaeological site of Glanum is characterized by important religious and civil monuments discovered in 1921.
Glanum is a sanctuary city at the crossroads of two ancient routes connecting Italy to Spain. Located south of the town of Saint- Rémy-de-Provence, in the direction of Les Baux-de-Provence, the city stretches at the entrance to a rocky pass which leads to Mont Gaussier. The mausoleum and the Arc de Triomphe of Glanum, neighbors of a few meters, are traditionally called the “Antiques of Saint-Rémy-de-Provence”. Their location on the side of the Alpilles and their state of conservation have ensured them a celebrity long before the late rediscovery of the city of Glanum.
Glanon, a Greek city dedicated to a healing god, before being the Glanum, an ancient city of the Roman Empire, reached its peak at the time of the first Roman emperor Augustus. Its development was based on the protection of the reliefs of the Alpilles, the presence of a sacred spring and the vicinity of the Domitian Way.
The city rests on several strata of occupation, which can be grouped into three main periods: Gallic period, period of Hellenistic influence, and finally Roman period.